Calshot Castle
Calshot castle was Built by Henry VIII in 1539, to defend the sea passage to Southampton and as part of a chain of defences along the English south coast.

In the 1929 and 1931, Calshot was the venue of the famous Schneider Cup Trophy race. In the Second World War Calshot became home to the Sunderland Flying Boat. RAF Calshot closed in 1961.

Calshot, at the mouth of Southampton Water, is a brilliant place for boat watching.

Easter to September
Daily, 10am - 4.30pm
Calshot castle, nr Fawley, Hampshire SO4 1BR
English Heritage and managed by Hampshire County Council.
Tel:02380 892023

  More pictures
Beach next to the castle
Another view of the castle
Ferry from Southampton to Cowes, Isle of Wight
Alongside the castle is Calshot Activities Centre situated in former aircraft hangars that were once used to house the Sunderland Flying Boat
Sunderland Flying Boat c1954
Calshot Castle
Shipping in Southampton Water
On Calshot spit, south of Fawley, off B3053 Streetmap
In front of the castle.
Activities centre 'Spinnakers Bar' (not managed by English Heritage). Limited opening times: Tues - Fri 12noon -2pm; weekends 10am - 9pm. Also you are welcome to bring a picnic to eat in the grounds. There are some benches and grass to sit on near the Activities Centre
Wheelchair accessible on ground floor only.